To be honest, I entered this course without much understanding of the "management" side of educational leadership. While I knew there were numerous tasks to be completed by an administrator, I really had no idea what that portion of the job entailed. My first clinical assignment - while eye-opening and meaningful - really didn't delve in to the "day-to-day" operations of a building. Thus I am looking to for some "real world" exposure in my second clinical this year.
The administrative standards for Iowa certainly pack a huge list of responsibility. Of course I understand the motive is to clarify roles and even hold accountable leaders in education. I have a definite understanding of the importance of promoting a healthy and positive climate within a building - in hopes of stimulating a welcoming and enthusiastic learning culture. Although the task sounds rather daunting - especially when your first job may very well be in a struggling district - I can understand the immediate effect a positive culture and climate can have on student achievement. Yes, I'm willing to put in the time and energy to generate such an environment. But I am afraid I may flounder before I encounter much success.
Where I continue to struggle the most is the idea of a "shared vision." Honestly, I am totally put off by the jargon of education. If one more person talks to me about "vision" without a legitimate plan for implementation, I may vomit. To have a picture of the your "quality world picture" is one thing. To yap about it to people but not know how to achieve it is more disheartening than inspiring. If and when I embark into the world of the "shared vision", I will be sure I have logistics to back up my claims. For an analyzer-controller like myself, this abstract concept is more irritating than motivating. I hope to find my own niche in motivating my staff without buying into the buzzwords of education.
That's all for this rant...
No comments:
Post a Comment