After listening to current educational leaders and their management roles in schools, I really began to realize the importance of a strong and competent building leadership team. Take the learning activity we completed in large groups at Urbandale MS. Our group was charged with developing a list of considerations for a scenario about building construction/remodeling efforts. Just from that 20 minute discussion, I realized I had little knowledge of the construction process. My mind tended to focus on the public relations aspect of the project, while many of my colleagues were identifying logistical aspects like safety, interruption of instruction, classroom relocation, and traffic flow. Simply hearing the ideas of others made it clear that I would need to surround myself with knowledgeable and experienced professionals.
Now the resulting question is how to you identify the best people for the job?
Do you create one BLT that is involved - to some capacity - in all major initiatives?
Or do you identify team members based on the project?
Is it best to have a consistent team who builds camaraderie and trust?
Or do you promote leadership involvement by selecting different people to contribute to different initiatives?
This topic also raises the question of volunteerism vs. appointment. Do you open up the opportunity for people to volunteer their time or do you actively seek out (and extend an invitation) to serve in a greater capacity? Which strategy would best serve your staff and your building?
And yes, I love the power of the rhetorical question...
Until next time...
Jackie - Should you surround yourself with leaders than ask great questions or ones with knowledge in the area? Should you always accept your BLT ideas or dig further into the subject?
ReplyDeleteI find myself with the same ideas you have stated. At first, I thought a leadership team should be a volunteer position, but then some outspoken teachers may be passed by. If these leaders are appointed it could give a greater sense of importance to the team. But does a new administrator know their staff well enough to appoint such individuals?
So many questions...